Chickpea Curry (Chhole)
-1 medium serrano pepper, cut into thirds
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 1, 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (1-inch)
- 6 tablespoons sunflower oil or grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 ¼ cups no-salt-added canned diced tomatoes with their juice (from a 28-ounce can)
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2, 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
Pulse serrano, garlic and ginger in a food processor until minced. Scrape down the sides and pulse again. Add onion; pulse until finely chopped, but not watery.
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add coriander, cumin and turmeric and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Pulse tomatoes in the food processor until finely chopped. Add to the pan along with salt. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes. Add chickpeas and garam masala, reduce heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more. Serve topped with cilantro, if desired.